More Shade... and Some Family Room Updates!

Well last night we finished hanging the rest of the bamboo shades in the family room and kitchen.




In last week's decor post (if you're new here, I throw in at least one home decor post a week), I updated you all on our dining room... the first room we converted from regular old white blinds to bamboo shades.

Well since we needed some custom sizes for one of the large family room windows and for the window above the sink, I searched the internet for affordable custom bamboo shades (which was kind of a joke considering most sites that claimed to be "affordable" would have charged upwards of at least $400 total for six more shades we needed).  I found the holy grail of bamboo shades, y'all. Seriously.

Overstock, you are my bro for life.



I went with these, mostly in the 74" length for most of our windows (with the exception of the kitchen sink window, which I got in a 54" length).  
I'm kind of obsessed with how you can select the exact size (width) you need, down to the inch for each and every window.


Oh, hi disgusting fan blade... Calling an electrician soon to swap it out for something lovely! So naturally, I gave up on cleaning it.

Total, I spent around $160.  I had a 15% off code AND they were on sale!  But even without all that, they're so much cheaper than similar alternatives.

I think bamboo shades add a lot more to a room than standard white blinds. They add some texture and a more custom feel, I think. And yes, now those family room windows are screaming for some drapery. I actually ordered some a few days ago and I cannot wait to get them! I'll keep you posted...


Like I mentioned in my previous post about these, our backyard is very private, so we went with the unlined version. At night, you can see lights inside, but no real details.  Because of that whole privacy factor, we won't be adding these to the front of the house (especially since the front of the house has nicer, wide wooden white blinds already).


Did you notice a few other little changes??


How sweet is that little terrarium? He's actually pretty fancy... We found him at a local furniture and decor consignment shop over the weekend.  I've seen pretty terrariums (half this size) go for at least $50.  We scored this guy for $20.

I also switched up the lamps to some that I purchased from Target years back.  They were chillin' with some el cheapo-looking plain white drum shades in storage (that I believe came free with some old lamps I got from Homegoods a while back), so I ordered these pleated fabric beauties from Amazon.  I feel like they add even more texture to the room and look a bit more traditional and luxe. I like to mix it up...

Back to the terrarium... I want to put some pretty pink flowers within it. Or maybe just some pretty greenery.

Oh and did you notice another change??


Yep, I painted the back door black (I used black onyx in a high gloss by Glidden). The old plastic blinds that were there before were hiding such a beautiful door! I think the new little terrarium plays off of it well and the whole door itself sort of goes with the French doors in the foyer that lead into my office/sitting room.


Here's a better shot of the lamps...


 And one more shot of the kitchen blinds...


Pretty obsessed with these. I'm absolutely loving how this area of the house has really come together over the last few weeks with just a few new additions. What do you all think? I can't wait to get the drapery up!

Have a wonderful weekend!!